© Maggie Kilbey & Marcel Glover 2021-2022
St Thomas à Becket, Brightling (East Sussex)
Barrel Organs in English Parish Churches
W.A.A. Nicholls barrel organ by given by the local squire, John Fuller MP (1757-1834) in c.1820 to replace previous barrel organ. Fuller presented the male choir members with white smocks, buckskin breeches and yellow stockings and the females with red cloaks to be worn on the day the organ was first played and afterwards. Fuller is said to have previously provided the choir with nine bassoons. The organ is located in the west gallery, is operated from the rear and blown by pedal. The castellated case has five panels of gold painted pipes backed with cloth. Restored by Harrison & Harrison in 1960 & 1964, and by Stuart Dobbs and Dominic Gwynn in 1999: https://www.goetzegwynn.co.uk/organ/brightling-church-in-sussex-restoration-of-the-ca1820-nicholls-barrel-organ/ [There are no links to recordings of this organ.]
References: Country Life (15 Aug. 1903), p. 192, (25 Jun 1943), p. 1153 & (21 Dec. 1951), p. 2109; Nottingham Journal (5 Aug. 1913), p. 2; MacDermott (1922); Sussex Agricultural Express (1 Nov. 1929), p. 12; Hastings and St Leonards Observer (4 Feb. 1933), p. 2; West Sussex Gazette (9 Feb. 1933), p. 5; Wenlock (1955); Boston & Langwill (1967); Holman (2000); NPOR N15468.
BARREL 1
Tune
Metre
1.1
Hanover
1.2
Double chant: Mornington
1.3
Windsor Chapel
1.4
Unknown
1.5
Bristol
1.6
Gainsborough
1.7
Falcon Street
1.8
Abingdon
1.9
Double chant: Dupuis
1.10
Montgomery
1.11
Froome
1.12
Old 100th
1.13
[Hanover - unplayable]
BARREL 2
Tune
Metre
2.1
Mount Ephraim
2.2
New York
2.3
Portugal New
2.4
St George
2.5
Irish
2.6
New Sabbath
2.7
Oxford New
2.8
Islington
2.9
Easter Hymn
2.10
Carey’s
2.11
Burford
2.12
St Anne
2.13
[Mount Ephraim - unplayable]
© Maggie Kilbey & Marcel Glover 2021-2022
Barrel Organs in English Parish Churches
St Thomas à Becket, Brightling (East Sussex)
W.A.A. Nicholls barrel organ by given by the local squire, John Fuller MP (1757-1834) in c.1820 to replace previous barrel organ. Fuller presented the male choir members with white smocks, buckskin breeches and yellow stockings and the females with red cloaks to be worn on the day the organ was first played and afterwards. Fuller is said to have previously provided the choir with nine bassoons. The organ is located in the west gallery, is operated from the rear and blown by pedal. The castellated case has five panels of gold painted pipes backed with cloth. Restored by Harrison & Harrison in 1960 & 1964, and by Stuart Dobbs and Dominic Gwynn in 1999: https://www.goetzegwynn.co.uk/organ/brightling-church-in-sussex- restoration-of-the-ca1820-nicholls-barrel-organ/ [There are no links to recordings of this organ.]
BARREL 1
Tune
Metre
1.1
Hanover
1.2
Double chant: Mornington
1.3
Windsor Chapel
1.4
Unknown
1.5
Bristol
1.6
Gainsborough
1.7
Falcon Street
1.8
Abingdon
1.9
Double chant: Dupuis
1.10
Montgomery
1.11
Froome
1.12
Old 100th
1.13
[Hanover - unplayable]
BARREL 2
Tune
Metre
2.1
Mount Ephraim
2.2
New York
2.3
Portugal New
2.4
St George
2.5
Irish
2.6
New Sabbath
2.7
Oxford New
2.8
Islington
2.9
Easter Hymn
2.10
Carey’s
2.11
Burford
2.12
St Anne
2.13
[Mount Ephraim - unplayable]
References: Country Life (15 Aug. 1903), p. 192, (25 Jun 1943), p. 1153 & (21 Dec. 1951), p. 2109; Nottingham Journal (5 Aug. 1913), p. 2; MacDermott (1922); Sussex Agricultural Express (1 Nov. 1929), p. 12; Hastings and St Leonards Observer (4 Feb. 1933), p. 2; West Sussex Gazette (9 Feb. 1933), p. 5; Wenlock (1955); Boston & Langwill (1967); Holman (2000); NPOR N15468.