© Maggie Kilbey & Marcel Glover 2021-2022
St Andrew, Letheringsett (Norfolk)
Barrel Organs in English Parish Churches
Improved barrel organ no. 2964. Painted nameplate on case: ‘T.C. Bates & Son, Organ Builders, 6, Ludgate Hill, London.’ The organ was originally installed in St Martin’s, Hindringham (Norfolk), and then privately owned by the Lee-Warner family. In 1950 it was acquired by Rev. Harold Gordon William Bache, Rector of Letheringsett, following the death of Miss Emily J. Lee-Warner of Holt, daughter of Rev. Septimus Lee-Warner. The organ is operated from the rear with the winding handle on the right and a low blowing lever on the left, so two people are needed to operate it. The castellated oak case has three panels of gold painted dummy pipes. Restored by Williamson and Hyatt of Trunch, Norfolk, before being installed in the church in 1956. Three colour-coded barrels x 10 tunes in a frame. The barrels are spring loaded and the tune change handle pushes them back into position. There are modern typewritten tunelists pasted to the casework. Unusually, the last section of ‘Austria’ is repeated, giving an unexpected metre. Photos: M. Kilbey.
References: Country Life (6 Nov. 1958), p. 1062; Boston & Langwill (1967); Linnell (2000); NPOR N06424.
BARREL 1 RED
Tune
Metre
1.1
LM
1.2
LM
1.3
LM
1.4
CM
1.5
CM
1.6
CM
1.7
SM
1.8
104th
1.9
77.77.
1.10
BARREL 2 YELLOW
Tune
Metre
2.1
LM
2.2
LM
2.3
LM
2.4
CM
2.5
CM
2.6
CM
2.7
CM
2.8
SM
2.9
87.87.87.87.87.
2.10
BARREL 3 GREEN
Tune
Metre
3.1
112th
3.2
LM
3.3
CM
3.4
CM
3.5
CM
3.6
SM
3.7
87.D
3.8
77.77.77.
3.9
3.10
© Maggie Kilbey & Marcel Glover 2021-2022
Barrel Organs in English Parish Churches
St Andrew, Letheringsett (Norfolk)
Improved barrel organ no. 2964. Painted nameplate on case: ‘T.C. Bates & Son, Organ Builders, 6, Ludgate Hill, London.’ The organ was originally installed in St Martin’s, Hindringham (Norfolk), and then privately owned by the Lee-Warner family. In 1950 it was acquired by Rev. Harold Gordon William Bache, Rector of Letheringsett, following the death of Miss Emily J. Lee- Warner of Holt, daughter of Rev. Septimus Lee-Warner. The organ is operated from the rear with the winding handle on the right and a low blowing lever on the left, so two people are needed to operate it. The castellated oak case has three panels of gold painted dummy pipes. Restored by Williamson and Hyatt of Trunch, Norfolk, before being installed in the church in 1956. Three colour-coded barrels x 10 tunes in a frame. The barrels are spring loaded and the tune change handle pushes them back into position. There are modern typewritten tunelists pasted to the casework. Unusually, the last section of ‘Austria’ is repeated, giving an unexpected metre. Photos: M. Kilbey.
References: Country Life (6 Nov. 1958), p. 1062; Boston & Langwill (1967); Linnell (2000); NPOR N06424.
BARREL 3 GREEN
Tune
Metre
3.1
112th
3.2
LM
3.3
CM
3.4
CM
3.5
CM
3.6
SM
3.7
87.D
3.8
77.77.77.
3.9
3.10
BARREL 1 RED
Tune
Metre
1.1
LM
1.2
LM
1.3
LM
1.4
CM
1.5
CM
1.6
CM
1.7
SM
1.8
104th
1.9
77.77.
1.10
BARREL 2 YELLOW
Tune
Metre
2.1
LM
2.2
LM
2.3
LM
2.4
CM
2.5
CM
2.6
CM
2.7
CM
2.8
SM
2.9
87.87.87.87.87.
2.10