© Maggie Kilbey & Marcel Glover 2021-2022
St Mary, Llanfair Waterdine (Shropshire)
Barrel Organs in English Parish Churches
Finger & barrel organ. Brass nameplate above keyboard and printed label on barrel read: ‘J.C. BISHOP, Organ Builder. By APPOINTMENT TO HIS MAJESTY, Lisson Grove South, New Road, St MaryleBone, INVENTOR OF THE COMPOSITION PEDALS.’ This suggests the organ was built after 1829 (when Bishop moved to Lisson Grove) but before 1837, when Queen Victoria came to the throne – unless an old label was used. A label at the rear ‘Organ No.4’ refers to the model number. The organ was purchased from Bishops Castle church, possibly when the church was rebuilt in 1860. The barrel mechanism is operated from the front. Originally hand blown, the organ now has an electric blower. The painted softwood Gothic case has three panels of gold painted dummy pipes. Restored by John Budgen. One barrel x 10 tunes, corresponding with the original tunelist written on the barrel and also pasted to the door of the case.
References: Musical Opinion (Dec. 1957); Boston & Langwill (1967); Ord-Hume (1978); Elvin (1984); Turner (2002); NPOR, D02576.
BARREL 1
Tune
Metre
1.1
CM
1.2
CM
1.3
CM
1.4
CM
1.5
CM
1.6
LM
1.7
LM
1.8
LM
1.9
SM
1.10
104th
© Maggie Kilbey & Marcel Glover 2021-2022
Barrel Organs in English Parish Churches
St Mary, Llanfair Waterdine (Shropshire)
Finger & barrel organ. Brass nameplate above keyboard and printed label on barrel read: ‘J.C. BISHOP, Organ Builder. By APPOINTMENT TO HIS MAJESTY, Lisson Grove South, New Road, St MaryleBone, INVENTOR OF THE COMPOSITION PEDALS.’ This suggests the organ was built after 1829 (when Bishop moved to Lisson Grove) but before 1837, when Queen Victoria came to the throne – unless an old label was used. A label at the rear ‘Organ No.4’ refers to the model number. The organ was purchased from Bishops Castle church, possibly when the church was rebuilt in 1860. The barrel mechanism is operated from the front. Originally hand blown, the organ now has an electric blower. The painted softwood Gothic case has three panels of gold painted dummy pipes. Restored by John Budgen. One barrel x 10 tunes, corresponding with the original tunelist written on the barrel and also pasted to the door of the case.
References: Musical Opinion (Dec. 1957); Boston & Langwill (1967); Ord-Hume (1978); Elvin (1984); Turner (2002); NPOR, D02576.
BARREL 1
Tune
Metre
1.1
CM
1.2
CM
1.3
CM
1.4
CM
1.5
CM
1.6
LM
1.7
LM
1.8
LM
1.9
SM
1.10
104th