© Maggie Kilbey & Marcel Glover 2021-2022
St Peter, Raithby (Lincolnshire)
Barrel Organs in English Parish Churches
Three green barrels x 10 tunes in a frame, the original tunelist is pasted inside the case. There is no mechanical tune indicator. Pasted to the windchest is a print of the mechanism of this organ with faded handwritten instructions for changing the tune. Several tunes on barrel 3 have been repinned.
References: Boston & Langwill (1967); Elvin (1984); Pacey (2002); NPOR D04122.
BARREL 1 GREEN
Tune
Metre
1.1
LM
1.2
CM
1.3
LM
1.4
104th
1.5
LM
1.6
CM
1.7
CM
1.8
CM
1.9
SM
1.10
LM
BARREL 2 GREEN
Tune
Metre
2.1
LM
2.2
CM
2.3
CM
2.4
CM
2.5
LM
2.6
LM
2.7
LM
2.8
87.D
2.9
CM
2.10
CM
BARREL 3 GREEN
Tune
Metre
3.1
German Hymn Rockingham
LM
3.2
87.D
3.3
CM
3.4
SM
3.5
Harington Eaton
LM
3.6
SM
3.7
Bexley Colchester
LM
3.8
3.9
Wiltshire Hotham
7s.
3.10
Handel University
CM
Improved barrel organ. Maker’s stamp on windchest & end of barrel: ‘GRAY & SON’. Installed when the church was rebuilt in 1839. The organ is located in a narrow west gallery accessed from the ringing chamber. It is operated from the rear and can be played by one person. The mahogany and softwood Gothic case has three panels of gold painted dummy pipes backed with blue cloth. Restored and repaired by John Budgen in 1963.
© Maggie Kilbey & Marcel Glover 2021-2022
Barrel Organs in English Parish Churches
St Peter, Raithby (Lincolnshire)
References: Boston & Langwill (1967); Elvin (1984); Pacey (2002); NPOR D04122.
BARREL 1 GREEN
Tune
Metre
1.1
LM
1.2
CM
1.3
LM
1.4
104th
1.5
LM
1.6
CM
1.7
CM
1.8
CM
1.9
SM
1.10
LM
BARREL 2 GREEN
Tune
Metre
2.1
LM
2.2
CM
2.3
CM
2.4
CM
2.5
LM
2.6
LM
2.7
LM
2.8
87.D
2.9
CM
2.10
CM
BARREL 3 GREEN
Tune
Metre
3.1
German Hymn Rockingham
LM
3.2
87.D
3.3
CM
3.4
SM
3.5
Harington Eaton
LM
3.6
SM
3.7
Bexley Colchester
LM
3.8
3.9
Wiltshire Hotham
7s.
3.10
Handel University
CM
Three green barrels x 10 tunes in a frame, the original tunelist is pasted inside the case. There is no mechanical tune indicator. Pasted to the windchest is a print of the mechanism of this organ with faded handwritten instructions for changing the tune. Several tunes on barrel 3 have been repinned.
Improved barrel organ. Maker’s stamp on windchest & end of barrel: ‘GRAY & SON’. Installed when the church was rebuilt in 1839. The organ is located in a narrow west gallery accessed from the ringing chamber. It is operated from the rear and can be played by one person. The mahogany and softwood Gothic case has three panels of gold painted dummy pipes backed with blue cloth. Restored and repaired by John Budgen in 1963.