© Maggie Kilbey & Marcel Glover 2021-2022
King Charles the Martyr, Shelland (Suffolk)
Barrel Organs in English Parish Churches
Barrel organ, c.1810. The keyframe is engraved ‘H. Bryceson, 38 Longacre, London’. Featured in 28 December 1957 BBC radio Third Programme broadcast ‘Miserable Dumbledores’ with commentary by Canon Noel Boston. The organ is located in a small raised pew at the west end. It is operated from the rear, with the crank handle on the right-hand side originally controlling both the barrel and the bellows. The oak Gothic case has three panels of gilt dummy pipes. Restored by N.P. Mander in 1983. Three original carriage-mounted barrels x 12 tunes. The barrel papers have Bryceson’s label and are also labelled on the end. The woodworm-damaged barrels are slightly warped, barrel 4 (not listed here) was made by John Budgen. Bryceson’s original printed instructions for operating the organ and a tunelist (partially eaten by mice) are pinned inside the case.
References: Phillips (1918); Bury Free Press (19 May 1928), p.5, (15 May 1937), p.16, (22 May 1937), p.13 & (2 Dec. 1966), p.3; Elliston (1930); Scholes (1934); MacDermott (1948); Boston (1959); Godman (1959); Country Life (15 Jul. 1965), p.175; Boston & Langwill (1967); Ord-Hume (1978); Budgen (1997); Turner (2002); NPOR, A00263.
BARREL 1
Tune
Metre
1.1
7s.
1.2
113th
1.3
77.77.D
1.4
LM
1.5
87.87.D
1.6
LM
1.7
87.87.47.
1.8
87.87.47.
1.9
SM
1.10
PM
1.11
LM
1.12
112th
BARREL 2
Tune
Metre
2.1
LM
2.2
LM
2.3
LM
2.4
LM
2.5
148th
2.6
LM
2.7
104th
2.8
CM
2.9
CM
2.10
CM
2.11
CM
2.12
CM
BARREL 3
Tune
Metre
3.1
LM
3.2
CM
3.3
CM
3.4
CM
3.5
CM
3.6
CM
3.7
CM
3.8
SM
3.9
SM
3.10
77.77.77.
3.11
3.12
© Maggie Kilbey & Marcel Glover 2021-2022
Barrel Organs in English Parish Churches
King Charles the Martyr, Shelland (Suffolk)
Barrel organ, c.1810. The keyframe is engraved ‘H. Bryceson, 38 Longacre, London’. Featured in 28 December 1957 BBC radio Third Programme broadcast ‘Miserable Dumbledores’ with commentary by Canon Noel Boston. The organ is located in a small raised pew at the west end. It is operated from the rear, with the crank handle on the right-hand side originally controlling both the barrel and the bellows. The oak Gothic case has three panels of gilt dummy pipes. Restored by N.P. Mander in 1983. Three original carriage-mounted barrels x 12 tunes. The barrel papers have Bryceson’s label and are also labelled on the end. The woodworm- damaged barrels are slightly warped, barrel 4 (not listed here) was made by John Budgen. Bryceson’s original printed instructions for operating the organ and a tunelist (partially eaten by mice) are pinned inside the case.
References: Phillips (1918); Bury Free Press (19 May 1928), p.5, (15 May 1937), p.16, (22 May 1937), p.13 & (2 Dec. 1966), p.3; Elliston (1930); Scholes (1934); MacDermott (1948); Boston (1959); Godman (1959); Country Life (15 Jul. 1965), p.175; Boston & Langwill (1967); Ord-Hume (1978); Budgen (1997); Turner (2002); NPOR, A00263.
BARREL 3
Tune
Metre
3.1
LM
3.2
CM
3.3
CM
3.4
CM
3.5
CM
3.6
CM
3.7
CM
3.8
SM
3.9
SM
3.10
77.77.77.
3.11
3.12
BARREL 2
Tune
Metre
2.1
LM
2.2
LM
2.3
LM
2.4
LM
2.5
148th
2.6
LM
2.7
104th
2.8
CM
2.9
CM
2.10
CM
2.11
CM
2.12
CM
BARREL 1
Tune
Metre
1.1
7s.
1.2
113th
1.3
77.77.D
1.4
LM
1.5
87.87.D
1.6
LM
1.7
87.87.47.
1.8
87.87.47.
1.9
SM
1.10
PM
1.11
LM
1.12
112th