© Maggie Kilbey & Marcel Glover 2021-2022
St Mary, Stanstead St Margaret (Hertfordshire)
Barrel Organs in English Parish Churches
Barrel & finger organ, originally a chamber organ. A brass nameplate reads: ‘Guliemus Allen Fecit London’. In 1837 the chaplain Canon Joseph Stephen Pratt restored the church and paid John Gray to convert the instrument to a barrel & finger organ. The organ is located in the west gallery, which has folding seats. The barrel mechanism is operated from the rear, with the crank handle on the right-hand side. The mahogany case has four panels of gold painted dummy pipes. An electric blower was installed in 1956. Restored in 1989 by Saxon Aldred of Redbourn, and over the following two years Donald Simmonds restored the barrels. Four green carriage-mounted barrels x 8 tunes. There are no tunelists. The knife mechanism is not operational, so the keyframe has to be lifted off the barrel manually.
References: Cadbury Research Library, John Gray accounts; Boston & Langwill (1967); Kilbey (2020); NPOR, N14170.
BARREL 1 GREEN
Tune
Metre
1.1
[unplayable]
1.2
LM
1.3
CM
1.4
LM
1.5
104th
1.6
LM
1.7
CM
1.8
87.87.47.
BARREL 2 GREEN
Tune
Metre
2.1
[unplayable]
2.2
LM
2.3
77.77.
2.4
CM
2.5
CM
2.6
LM
2.7
77.77.77.
2.8
CM
BARREL 4 GREEN
Tune
Metre
3.1
[unplayable]
3.2
LM
3.3
CM
3.4
CM
3.5
LM
3.6
SM
3.7
87.87.D
3.8
CM
BARREL 3 GREEN
Tune
Metre
4.1
[unplayable]
4.2
SM
4.3
CM
4.4
CM
4.5
LM
4.6
CM
4.7
886.D
4.8
PM
© Maggie Kilbey & Marcel Glover 2021-2022
Barrel Organs in English Parish Churches
St Mary, Stanstead St Margaret (Hertfordshire)
Barrel & finger organ, originally a chamber organ. A brass nameplate reads: ‘Guliemus Allen Fecit London’. In 1837 the chaplain Canon Joseph Stephen Pratt restored the church and paid John Gray to convert the instrument to a barrel & finger organ. The organ is located in the west gallery, which has folding seats. The barrel mechanism is operated from the rear, with the crank handle on the right-hand side. The mahogany case has four panels of gold painted dummy pipes. An electric blower was installed in 1956. Restored in 1989 by Saxon Aldred of Redbourn, and over the following two years Donald Simmonds restored the barrels. Four green carriage-mounted barrels x 8 tunes. There are no tunelists. The knife mechanism is not operational, so the keyframe has to be lifted off the barrel manually.
References: Cadbury Research Library, John Gray accounts; Boston & Langwill (1967); Kilbey (2020); NPOR, N14170.
BARREL 1 GREEN
Tune
Metre
1.1
[unplayable]
1.2
LM
1.3
CM
1.4
LM
1.5
104th
1.6
LM
1.7
CM
1.8
87.87.47.
BARREL 2 GREEN
Tune
Metre
2.1
[unplayable]
2.2
LM
2.3
77.77.
2.4
CM
2.5
CM
2.6
LM
2.7
77.77.77.
2.8
CM
BARREL 3 GREEN
Tune
Metre
4.1
[unplayable]
4.2
SM
4.3
CM
4.4
CM
4.5
LM
4.6
CM
4.7
886.D
4.8
PM
BARREL 4 GREEN
Tune
Metre
3.1
[unplayable]
3.2
LM
3.3
CM
3.4
CM
3.5
LM
3.6
SM
3.7
87.87.D
3.8
CM