© Maggie Kilbey & Marcel Glover 2021-2022
St Mary, Staunton (Nottinghamshire)
Barrel Organs in English Parish Churches
Improved barrel organ, 1852. Label on Barrel 1: ‘FORSTER & ANDREWS, Organ Builders, Instruments BUILT TO Suit any CLIMATE, Estimates GIVEN FOR every description of ORGAN WORK. 29, Charlotte Street, (Late The Mechanic’s Institute), HULL. Tuning taken by Contract.’ The organ was erected on the 14th of March 1852 for £55 including installation. Forster & Andrew’s order book describes it as ‘New Barrel Organ same as Ponton’. It replaced an earlier barrel organ. The organ is located at the west end. It is operated from the rear, with the crank handle on the right-hand side and a central pedal for blowing. The Gothic case is of stained softwood and has three panels of gold painted dummy pipes. Restored in 1969 by Herbert Friskney of Sutton-on-the-Trent, before which it had not been played for some 40 years. Three red barrels x 12 tunes in a frame, corresponding with the original tunelist given in Forster & Andrews’ order book. The tune change handle works on a notched rack: the barrel remains stationary while the keyframe is moved.
References: The Organist and Choirmaster (Jul. 1905), p. 52; Notes and Queries (18 Mar. 1922), p. 209; Nottingham Evening Post (24 Jul. 1929), p. 8; Boston & Langwill (1967); Elvin (1976); Ord-Hume (1978); NPOR E0153.
BARREL 1 RED
Tune
Metre
1.1
LM
1.2
LM
1.3
CM
1.4
CM
1.5
CM
1.6
SM
1.7
77.77.
1.8
77.77.77.
1.9
1.10
1.11
1.12
© Maggie Kilbey & Marcel Glover 2021-2022
Barrel Organs in English Parish Churches
St Mary, Staunton (Nottinghamshire)
Improved barrel organ, 1852. Label on Barrel 1: ‘FORSTER & ANDREWS, Organ Builders, Instruments BUILT TO Suit any CLIMATE, Estimates GIVEN FOR every description of ORGAN WORK. 29, Charlotte Street, (Late The Mechanic’s Institute), HULL. Tuning taken by Contract.’ The organ was erected on the 14th of March 1852 for £55 including installation. Forster & Andrew’s order book describes it as ‘New Barrel Organ same as Ponton’. It replaced an earlier barrel organ. The organ is located at the west end. It is operated from the rear, with the crank handle on the right-hand side and a central pedal for blowing. The Gothic case is of stained softwood and has three panels of gold painted dummy pipes. Restored in 1969 by Herbert Friskney of Sutton-on-the-Trent, before which it had not been played for some 40 years. Three red barrels x 12 tunes in a frame, corresponding with the original tunelist given in Forster & Andrews’ order book. The tune change handle works on a notched rack: the barrel remains stationary while the keyframe is moved.
References: The Organist and Choirmaster (Jul. 1905), p. 52; Notes and Queries (18 Mar. 1922), p. 209; Nottingham Evening Post (24 Jul. 1929), p. 8; Boston & Langwill (1967); Elvin (1976); Ord-Hume (1978); NPOR E0153.
BARREL 1 RED
Tune
Metre
1.1
LM
1.2
LM
1.3
CM
1.4
CM
1.5
CM
1.6
SM
1.7
77.77.
1.8
77.77.77.
1.9
1.10
1.11
1.12