© Maggie Kilbey & Marcel Glover 2021-2022
St Michael & All Angels, Steeple (Dorset)
Barrel Organs in English Parish Churches
Improved barrel organ, 1838. Engraved on keyframe: ‘J.W. WALKER, MAKER, LONDON 1838.’ Purchased in 1858 by Rev. Nathaniel Bond, Rector of Steeple 1852-89, the organ remained in regular use until 1890. In 1943 the pipes and case were removed and used in the construction of an organ at Knowle. The organ is operated from the rear, with the crank handle on the right-hand side and blowing lever on the left-hand side. The mechanism was restored in 1994 by John Budgen, with new pipework. A ‘protective cage’ of metal mesh now encases the organ. Three black barrels x 12 tunes in a frame, there is no original tunelist.
References: Dorset History Centre, PE/TYN/RE/1/1; Wiltshire & Swindon Archives, D1/61/141/81 Faculty 2853 (1994); Salisbury & Winchester Journal (10 Oct. 1896), p. 8; Notes and Queries for Somerset and Dorset (Mar. 1896), p. 14; Notes and Queries (1 Apr. 1922), p. 254; MacDermott (1948); Musical Opinion (Sep. 1969), p. 643; Boston & Langwill (1967); Budgen (1997); Turner (2002); NPOR D06558.
BARREL 1 BLACK
Tune
Metre
1.1
LM
1.2
LM
1.3
LM
1.4
CM
1.5
CM
1.6
CM
1.7
SM
1.8
77.77.77.
1.9
77.77.D
1.10
LM
1.11
LM
1.12
BARREL 2 BLACK
Tune
Metre
2.1
LM
2.2
LM
2.3
LM
2.4
LM
2.5
Job
LM
2.6
CM
2.7
CM
2.8
CM
2.9
CM
2.10
CM
2.11
SM
2.12
BARREL 3 BLACK
Tune
Metre
3.1
LM
3.2
CM
3.3
LM
3.4
LM
3.5
3.6
CM
3.7
CM
3.8
CM
3.9
CM
3.10
CM
3.11
SM
3.12
© Maggie Kilbey & Marcel Glover 2021-2022
Barrel Organs in English Parish Churches
St Michael & All Angels, Steeple (Dorset)
Improved barrel organ, 1838. Engraved on keyframe: ‘J.W. WALKER, MAKER, LONDON 1838.’ Purchased in 1858 by Rev. Nathaniel Bond, Rector of Steeple 1852-89, the organ remained in regular use until 1890. In 1943 the pipes and case were removed and used in the construction of an organ at Knowle. The organ is operated from the rear, with the crank handle on the right- hand side and blowing lever on the left-hand side. The mechanism was restored in 1994 by John Budgen, with new pipework. A ‘protective cage’ of metal mesh now encases the organ. Three black barrels x 12 tunes in a frame, there is no original tunelist.
References: Dorset History Centre, PE/TYN/RE/1/1; Wiltshire & Swindon Archives, D1/61/141/81 Faculty 2853 (1994); Salisbury & Winchester Journal (10 Oct. 1896), p. 8; Notes and Queries for Somerset and Dorset (Mar. 1896), p. 14; Notes and Queries (1 Apr. 1922), p. 254; MacDermott (1948); Musical Opinion (Sep. 1969), p. 643; Boston & Langwill (1967); Budgen (1997); Turner (2002); NPOR D06558.
BARREL 3 BLACK
Tune
Metre
3.1
LM
3.2
CM
3.3
LM
3.4
LM
3.5
3.6
CM
3.7
CM
3.8
CM
3.9
CM
3.10
CM
3.11
SM
3.12
BARREL 2 BLACK
Tune
Metre
2.1
LM
2.2
LM
2.3
LM
2.4
LM
2.5
Job
LM
2.6
CM
2.7
CM
2.8
CM
2.9
CM
2.10
CM
2.11
SM
2.12
BARREL 1 BLACK
Tune
Metre
1.1
LM
1.2
LM
1.3
LM
1.4
CM
1.5
CM
1.6
CM
1.7
SM
1.8
77.77.77.
1.9
77.77.D
1.10
LM
1.11
LM
1.12